Academic Skills for Students with Dyslexia – Virtual Summer Institute 2020
- Type: 5-hour online course
- Duration: Opens Monday, July 20 with all work to be completed by Friday, July 24
- Attendance: Asynchronous, self-paced between July 20 and July 24
- Platform: Canvas. Login credentials emailed several days before the course begins
- Overview of Executive Function: Presents an overview of executive function and its importance for achieving academic proficiency, particularly for students with language-based learning disabilities.
- Overview of Study Skills: Provides an overview of study skills and its importance for developing strong executive function and overall academic achievement, particularly for students with language-based learning disabilities.
- Dyslexia: Overviews general best classroom practices.
MODULE BASIC OUTLINE
- Presentation of key information about the topic
- Explanations of the impact in the classroom
- A quiz to assess learning
- Opportunities to discuss and reflect on course content with peers
- A summation of the module followed by an opportunity to complete an application assignment
TYPES OF ASSIGNMENTS
- Pre and Post-Assessments: These ungraded questionnaires will be completed at the beginning and end of the course in order to self-assess knowledge and application of course content.
- Quizzes: The quizzes will assess comprehension of the content from the required reading. The quizzes will be automatically graded within the course platform. Although participants must earn an 80% or higher to move on to the next section of the course, there are unlimited attempts allowed.
- Discussion Posts: The discussions will require participants to post an initial response and reply to at least one other post.
- Assignments: The assignments in each module will require participants to put theory into practice as they read and follow the specific directions, and use examples provided as a guideline for format, length, and quality of writing. These tasks will be assessed using specific rubrics.
All necessary materials will be shared electronically.
This course is appropriate for educators at all levels.
|July 20-24, 2020
Registration is unavailable at this time.
"I really enjoyed the online experience, especially since I have young children at home and the online class provided me with flexibility."
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER