5 Hour Online Courses
Understanding Receptive Language – Virtual Summer Institute 2020
- Type: 5-hour online course
- Duration: Opens Monday, July 20 with all work to be completed by Friday, July 24
- Attendance: Asynchronous, self-paced between July 20 and July 24
- Platform: Canvas. Login credentials emailed the day before the course begins
- Understanding Receptive Language: Introduces receptive language development, including information about the diagnosis of language disorders and research-based best practices for building language skills.
- Structure of Language: Explains the facets of language (receptive and expressive) and how they contribute to the effective comprehension and communication skills necessary to achieve successfully in school, suggesting an approach to informal assessment of student skill with different facets of language.
- Developing Listening Comprehension: Describes how this often assumed aspect of comprehension can interfere with learning, links listening comprehension to the previous and subsequent units, and offers practical instructional approaches to support and develop students’ listening comprehension.
MODULE BASIC OUTLINE
- Presentation of key information about the topic
- Explanations of the impact in the classroom
- Opportunities to discuss and reflect on course content with peers
- A summation of the module followed by an opportunity to complete an application assignment
TYPES OF ASSIGNMENTS
- Pre and Post-Assessments: These ungraded questionnaires will be completed at the beginning and end of the course in order to self-assess knowledge and application of course content.
- Discussion Posts: The discussions will require participants to post an initial response and reply to at least one other post.
- Assignments: The assignments in each module will require participants to put theory into practice as they read and follow the specific directions, and use examples provided as a guideline for format, length, and quality of writing. These tasks will be assessed using specific rubrics.
All necessary materials will be shared electronically.
This course is appropriate for educators at all levels.
|July 20-24, 2020
Registration is unavailable at this time.
"I really enjoyed the online experience, especially since I have young children at home and the online class provided me with flexibility."
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER