5 Hour Online Courses
Word-Level Instruction for Students with Language-Based Learning Disabilities – Virtual Summer Institute 2020
- Type: 5-hour online course
- Duration: Opens Monday, July 20 with all work to be completed by Friday, July 24
- Attendance: Asynchronous, self-paced between July 20 and July 24
- Platform: Canvas. Login credentials emailed the day before the course begins
- Teaching Basic Parts of Speech: Helps educators understand how to provide targeted instruction in nouns, verbs, prepositional phrases, and adjectives.
- Developing Vocabulary: Introduces word knowledge as a foundation for comprehension, provides examples of interferences that inhibit comprehension, and suggests approaches to building students’ word skills.
- Vocabulary and Comprehension: Explores how vocabulary and the other components of reading addressed in the course support comprehension, the ultimate goal of reading.
MODULE BASIC OUTLINE
- Presentation of key information about the topic
- Explanations of the impact in the classroom
- Opportunities to discuss and reflect on course content with peers
- A summation of the module followed by an opportunity to complete an application assignment
TYPES OF ASSIGNMENTS
- Pre and Post-Assessments: These ungraded questionnaires will be completed at the beginning and end of the course in order to self-assess knowledge and application of course content.
- Discussion Posts: The discussions will require participants to post an initial response and reply to at least one other post.
- Assignments: The assignments in each module will require participants to put theory into practice as they read and follow the specific directions, and use examples provided as a guideline for format, length, and quality of writing. These tasks will be assessed using specific rubrics.
All necessary materials will be shared electronically.
This course is appropriate for educators at all levels.
|July 20-24, 2020
Registration is unavailable at this time.
"I really enjoyed the online experience, especially since I have young children at home and the online class provided me with flexibility."
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER